Maryland Recycling Network / SWANA MidAtlantic Annual Conference
June 20-21 * Maritime Institute
What to Expect When You’re NOT Expecting
…and a few Great Expectations
Thursday, June 20, 2013
10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
Concurrent Technical Sessions
Market Volatility: The Uncertain Art of Predicting and Planning for Future Commodities Values
- Jerry Powell, Executive Editor, Resource Recycling
- Richard Keller, Manager of Recycling, Maryland Environmental Services
Avoiding the Debris Cliff: How To Be Calm Before the Storm
- Preparing Harford County Debris Management Plan – Tom Hilton, Deputy Director, Harford County Department of Public Works, Division of Environmental Services
- Contracting Standby Emergency Debris Management Services - Dr. Walter S. Maestri, Former Emergency Manager for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana
- Managing Large Quantities of Post-Disaster C&D Debris - Michael Kalish, P.E. LEED AP, Project Director, SCS Engineers
1:30 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.
Concurrent Technical Sessions:
Product Stewardship: Who’s Responsible for the Future
- Scott Cassel, Chief Executive Officer and Founder, Product Stewardship Institute
- Chaz Miller, Director of State Programs, National Solid Wastes Management Association
Maximizing Reimbursement Potential: Debris Management Recordkeeping, Documentation & Monitoring Requirements
Kelly Devilbiss, Public Assistance Officer, Maryland Emergency Management Agency
2:45 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Concurrent Technical Sessions
Composting Policy: Are We There Yet?
- Composting Workgroup Report - Hilary Miller, Program Manager, Waste Diversion and Utilization Program, Maryland Department of the Environment
- What's Next for Maryland - Lori Scozzafava, Executive Director, U.S. Composting Council
What to do when your landfill suddenly becomes a crime scene (evidence retrieval): King George Landfill Case History
- Lisa Kardell, Director, Public Affairs & Thomas Cue, District Manager, Waste Management
- Detective Michael Pachkoski, Director, Harford County Sheriff’s Department, Forensic Science Unit
3:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Managing the Unthinkable: Picking Up the Pieces After the Perfect Storm
Barry Eck, President of the New Jersey Emergency Management Agencies and Emergency Manager of Sayreville, NJ
Friday, June 21, 2013
9:00 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.
Great Expectations: The Journey to Zero Waste
Tim Croll, Director of Recycling, Seattle Public Utility
10:15 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Organics Nationwide: What to Expect in 2013 & Beyond
Lisa A. Skumatz, Ph.D, Principal, Skumatz Economic Research Associates, Inc.
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
Organics Processing in Action: Setting New Expectations
- Composting Operation - Jeff Dannis, Operations Division Chief, Dept. of Public Works, Bureau of Environmental Services, Howard County Maryland
- Food Scraps Collection - Alan Wilcom, Chief, Recycling Division, Dept. of Public Works, Bureau of Environmental Services, Howard County Maryland
- New Technology in Organics Processing - Craig Stuart Paul, President, Fiberight