Session Schedule & Slide Decks (If Available)
9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Disaster Recovery, Solid Waste and Recycling: Plans Made & Lessons Learned
- National Overview
- Local Lessons Learned from Ellicott City
- Alan Wilcom, Chief, Recycling Division, Howard County (Slide Deck)
10:30 a.m. – 11:25 a.m.
- The Markets: What’s Hot; What’s Not…What Will Be?
- Weather-Proofing Solid Waste Operations & Facilities: Part I (focus on policy and operations planning)
11:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
- Plastics: An Ever-Evolving, Fast-Moving Target – Panel Discussion
- Sandi Childs, Film and Flexible Program Director, Association of Plastics Recyclers (Slide Deck)
- Richard Keller, Recycling Marketing and Promotional Manager, Baltimore County Bureau of Solid Waste Management (Slide Deck)
- Mylinda Jacobsen, Purchasing Manager, Envision Plastics (Slide Deck)
- Chaz Miller (Moderator)
- Weather-Proofing Solid Waste Operations & Facilities: Part II (impacts of climate change on design and technology)
- Jeremy Morris, Ph.D., P.E., Principal Engineer, Geosyntec (Slide Deck)
- Jake Shepherd, P.E., Senior Project Professional, SCS Engineers (Slide Deck)
- Darl Kolar, P.E., BCEE, Project Manager, EA Engineering, Science and Technology, Inc., PBC (Slide Deck)
- Tim Ford, Division Chief, Project Management, Maryland Environmental Service (Moderator)
1:30 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
- Food Scraps: The Final Frontier
- Public Sector Collections: Denice Curry, Recycling Section manager – Resource Recovery Division, Prince (Slide Deck)George’s County Department of the Environment and Gemma Evans, Recycling Coordinator, Howard County Bureau of Environmental Services (Slide Deck)
- Private Sector Solutions: Ryan Walter, Co-Founder and President, Compost Crew (Presentation Summary)
- SM3 Update
- Steve Hellem, President and CEO, Navista The Public Affairs Group Inc. (Slide Deck)
- John Sullivan, program manager, Maryland Department of the Environment
2:45 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Contamination: New Technologies & Methodologies
- Phil Bresee, Senior Consultant, MSW (Slide Deck)
- The Future of Solid Waste
- Richard Coupland, VP, Municipal Sales, Republic Services, Inc. (Slide Deck)
3:45 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Customer Service/Help Desk: Systems to Help Our Citizens Do the Right Thing (Presentation Summary)
- Rich Nolan, Director of Operations, Central VA Solid Waste Authority (Slide Deck)
- John MacDonald, Director of Sales, RecycleCoach (Slide Deck)
- Michele Blair, Recycling Coordinator, Laurel, MD
- Pat Fahey, Sutherlin Sanitary Service (Slide Deck)
- Christine McCoy, Recycling Outreach & Education, Solid Waste Management Program, Fairfax County, VA (Moderator)